Paperback, eBook (pdf), ePub, Permanent Access to the Knowledge Vault
A Step-By-Step Guide to Moderating Lively and Informative Panel Discussions at Meetings, Conferences and Conventions
Drawn from her extensive experience as a nationally recognized speaker, master facilitator and panel moderator, Kristin Arnold provides a step-by-step approach to help you moderate a lively and informative panel discussion.
With this 24 page user-friendly guide, you will learn five steps to successfully moderate a panel discussion like a pro, including:
- The moderator’s role and responsibilities
- Various panel formats
- How to clarify the starting conditions
- How to select, invite and confirm interesting panelists
- How to prepare to moderate the panel – including how to research the topic, the panelists and the audience, write the welcome, curate the questions you will ask, decide the audience Q&A format, determine the logistics, assemble the slideshow and promote the session.
- How to moderate the panel, including things to do just before the session starts, how to open the session, get the conversation started, keep the conversation moving briskly, intervene firmly and respectfully.
- How to facilitate the audience Q&A
- How to conclude the session
- How to follow up once the session is over!
Everything you need to know is in this step-by-step guide. By incorporating just a few of these best practices, you will dramatically improve your ability to moderate an amazingly successful panel discussion.
Panels. The very word causes most of us to groan as it brings up feelings of dislike and disdain. Kristin Arnold has taken the dry, boring, traditional panel format and infused it with excitement, engagement and anticipation all for the audience’s pleasure. Her book Powerful Panels provides a step by step approach to creating 21st Century panels and is a must read for all who plan meetings, events and education formats.
— Jeff Hurt
Executive Vice President, Education & Engagement, Velvet Chainsaw Consulting
Kristin Arnold is an expert public speaker and moderator who knows how to make meetings engaging, insightful and valuable. In this priceless booklet, she shares her expertise and wisdom to help others lead more effective panels. If you are running a conference, meeting or panel, you owe it to your audience to probe Kristin’s ideas.
— Wayne Cooper
Executive Chairman, Chief Executive Group & Publisher of Chief Executive magazine