It’s important to celebrate your team’s small and large victories. Here are some ideas to show just how much you care.
- Group Share.
- Bring in a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne and glasses (plastic will do, but it’s alot more fun with glass!). Start the toast with “I am thankful this team is…..” Clink glasses, take a sip and encourage others to continue the toast!
- Have each team member share the most memorable “team moment” – it’s a great way to provide closure!
- Have each team member share what they think is the team’s most significant accomplishment and what contributed to their success.
- Share what each individual does to celebrate success (e.g. go out to dinner at a favorite restaurant) and then agree on how the team will celebrate their success.
- Have all the team members sit in a circle. Take a big ball of yarn and wrap one end around your finger. Throw the ball to another team member and thank them for a specific contribution or accomplishment. That team member then wraps a bit of yarn around their finger and continues the process. You can even send it back to the same person too! Watch the interconnected web the team weaves….
- Share what you have gained from working on the team – what are you thankful for learning.
- Have a potluck lunch and encourage team members to stay and mingle rather than run back to their office.
- Have breakfast or lunch catered – so no one has to bring anything!
- Take the team to a local eatery and have a nice long lunch.
- Go out to the local park for a picnic.
- Create an ice cream sundae bar with all the fixin’s!
- Send a gift basket of fruit, flowers or chocolate to their home. Every once in a while the family needs to feel appreciated too!
- Take a team photograph and post on the company FaceBook page (that is, if the company has one!).
- Create a “Wall of Fame” – a special location where team pictures and plaques are displayed.
- Make a photo collage that shows all the team members engaged in various parts of the project.
- Poster. Frame a poster for each team member with a distinctive team quote.
- Outside Activities.
- Go for a brisk team walk in the afternoon cool air and return to a mug of simmering hot apple cider.
- Do something together such as paintball or laser tag, take a hike, go rafting, or have a private tour of the local museum.
- Do a charitable activity together such as a walkathon to beat cancer, build a house for the homeless.
- Go to a local movie theater and congregate for drinks afterwards.
But then again, you can do the usual cast of characters as well:
- Plaque. A wall plaque or paperweight that commemorates the effort.
- Newsletter. Recognition in the organization’s newsletter or website.
- Parking Spaces. Designate a set of parking spaces that are in prime locations.
- Logos. Get some clothing, office supplies or luggage with the organization’s logo. Team members will be proud to wear/use them!
- Pin. Create a unique pin that commemorates the successful completion of the project.
- Gift Certificates. Everyone loves a gift certificate to a local eatery or retail establishment.
- Day Off. Who doesn’t like a day off with no strings attached – especially when it is on a Monday or Friday to make a long weekend?
- Thank You. Send a personalized thank you card or letter that specifically comments on how that team member contributed to the team’s success.
- Tickets. Buy some movie, theater, concert, museum, amusement park etc. tickets for each team member plus one – or go as a group.
Regardless, don’t let this opportunity to let the team celebrate their success go by!
Kristin Arnold is a professional meeting facilitator and international speaker who is passionate about helping leaders and their teams think things through, make better decisions and achieve sustainable results. The Extraordinary Team’s approach to building high performance teams combines consulting, coaching, training and process facilitation within the context of working real issues.
For valuable tips and strategies for building your own extraordinary team. Subscribe to this monthly newsletter today.